Monday, June 13, 2005

Frühlingfest

Well, try as I might...I could not find any historical information on the Frühlingfest, or a description of what a Frühlingfest actually is-- (I did find one phrase that might be apropos “...Herald the arrival of spring ...” So, what I will do is tell you about our experiences during Stuttgart’s 2005 Frühlingfest held at Bad Cannstatt.

We caught the S-Bahn train to Bad Cannstatt and arrived rather early (intentionally) so that we could all find seating together. The “we” is my husband and myself and a group of his co-workers—both civilian and military.

We really did not know what to expect regarding the details of a Frühlingfest, other than there would be beer tents, “oompah” bands, and people singing and dancing. When we arrived at the destination and found a “county faire” type of atmosphere. There were rides for the children, games to be played for prizes, food stands, AND...beer tents! It was the beer tents that were our ultimate destination.

Once inside we found that not many of the tables were filled just yet. Yay! We found the perfect table location, which was two table “rows” back from the main stage! The tables reminded me of large picnic tables that could easily sit 12 people comfortably with plenty of elbowroom. Our group easily filled one table and half of another. Once seated, many of our group ordered food, some of which included a plate of ½ a chicken and all the “fixin’s”, brats and all the “fixin’s”, schwein (pork) and all the “fixin’s”!!! Of course those infamous large steins of beer were ordered all the way around the table! (After all...the train was the group’s “designated” driver...and in my husband’s and my case...I was the designated driver!)

As we were sitting there eating, drinking, and talking, an “oompah” band was playing and songs were sung. Each song had a lively rhythm and catchy tune with German lyrics. Even though we were foreigners and did not know German songs, we felt as though we should sing along (even if we didn’t know the words!) There was a point (and a song) that the audience would shout (or was it sing?) “Oy...Oy...Oy”!!! Don’t know why...BUT IT WAS REALLY, REALLY FUN to respond with the “Oy(s)” when we were supposed to! There was another song (that I don’t know, but am sure before I leave Germany, will just “roll” off my tongue!” ) that the group responded to by singing right along with the band. Lots of fun!

As time passed, the tent started filling (I would say that tent could hold 800 people easily!) and a new band came on stage. This band was a little more modern, playing rock and roll, R&B, some “oompah” ...oh, and the proverbial “Oy...Oy...Oy” and the other sing-a-long. With the food out of the way, and more steins of beer coming our way, it was time for everyone to stand up on the table (I should say, stand on their bench. With stein(s) in hand all (not just our table) were singing, swaying, dancing (in place...on their benches)! A good time to be had by all!

I must say the most “refreshing” thing to me was seeing the different age groups (and ethnicities) coming together and enjoying themselves! The type of song did not matter nor did the age of the reveler play a part. If one felt like standing up and singing or dancing, then so be it...they stood and sang and danced! It did not matter if the song was a popular song, a hit song or not. No one ridiculed another person because he/she/they were dancing an old dance step, singing out of tune or (in our case) "lip synching"! It didn’t matter! All were there and all were having a good time! I think that is what we (my husband and I) will remember the most about this Frühlingfest festival...was...


“....it didn’t matter...all...there...were having a good time!”

1 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Katalina, this sounds like SO MUCH FUN, I'm glad you're back and posting! I thought maybe you were taking a long break from blogging again. This Frühlingfest is something that I hope to experience one day! Damn! All that beer and food!!!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home