Thursday, May 12, 2005

A Mother's Love...A Wife's Devotion...

I have been away from the “Blog-World”, living in the “Real-World” in a manner of speaking. On March 30th, my husband and I received a telephone call from our daughter and our cousin back in the United States. A call which all parents dread receiving. Our son...our only son...was in a terrible motorcycle accident! No detail regarding condition other than he was believed to have numerous broken bones, possibly spinal injury, lung damage, bladder damage, and God knows what else! We were also told that he would be facing major surgery in excess of six hours! As always, I imagined the worse possible scenario!

Mon Dieu! We frantically searched the internet for flights that could get me to my son’s bedside as quickly as possible! What did the cost matter! This is our only son! “Mom” had to be at his side! My husband, it was decided, since he had just started his current job, would stay behind and (God forbid) should the need arise, he would follow at a later date.... A flight was found which allowed me an arrival time in California at 1150 pm... An arrival time later than I would have liked, BUT under the circumstances and the great distance to be traveled...it was acceptable.

I arrived on March 31st about 2400 hrs...WAY later than I had hoped, but when you are at the mercy of the airlines, late flights, etc...there is nothing one can do!

My daughter and my cousin met me at the airport. I was told (on the drive to the hospital) that our son had been in surgery for over eight hours! My mind raced! What could be wrong? Was surgery successful? I did not know what to expect or think!!! A moment of joy was felt in my heart as I entered the room, “I saw his toes wiggle!” What a silly thought you might be thinking...but that thought told me immediately (in my heart that is), that I knew my son would walk again! In that instant, my faith in God told me my son would recover! Praise be to God!!! Is all that I can say!!!!! Throughout the night, he was in and out of consciousness—but—I did not worry (at least worry as much as I had previously!)

My son, as I was to find out later had broken his pelvic bone (a textbook break the doctors said...because it was broken in the middle), broken ribs (left and right sides), a broken right clavicle (collar bone), a hairline fracture at the top of his spine/neck, a right collapsed lung, a ruptured bladder (right side)...I’m sure I am leaving something out...but hey..I think you get the picture of his condition!

My friends, miracles to happen! Within 15 days, they (the hospital staff) had my son up and out of bed walking...albeit with a walker and I.V.s everywhere...Yes, there was and still is a lot of pain BUT he will and is walking! He will have to go through a lot (and I mean a LOT) of physical therapy, but he is young and strong and will at some point in the future be back to his ‘ol self!!!
I was gone almost a month...an eternity it seems! My place was at my son’s side during his time of need...but I have to say this...my husband and I have been married 36 years and still to this day, every moment apart seems like an eternity! While I love my children dearly and would travel to the “ends of the earth” to be at their side(s) in their times of need... I have to say, I could not wait to return home to be with my husband! Is that selfish? I think not...I have lived my life loving my children and will continue to love my children...but in my heart...I will always be at my husband’s side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home