Thursday, May 12, 2005

"Ah! Venice..."

My husband and I were fortunate enough to be able to visit a destination we have always dreamed of...Venice—or Venezia as it is properly called.

We were certainly not disappointed! The city certainly lived up to our expectations! The only downside (if you want to call it a downside) was that it could have been a longer trip, but that is okay...we will return another day soon to explore in more detail.

We started out as any good tourist would do, we caught a water taxi from the parking lot to the city itself. What a view! Era assolutamente breathtaking! We have never ridden in a taxi that afforded us such sights! After leaving the water taxi, we started off on foot from the where the water taxis drop everyone off...near the Hotel Danieli I think... We decided (as any good tourist would do...) to try and squeeze as much into the day as possible! We immediately set off to tour the Doge’s Palace. I know I have said it before when visiting other sites here in Europe, but I must say it again...”Wow! At every turn was pure “history”!!! The Doge’s palace was incredible! We went from the courtyard to Doge’s apartments decorated with phenominal artwork, to the Sala del Senato—a lavish hall where noblemen met with the Doge, to the armoury where incredible weapons and suits of armour are displayed, across the Bridge of Sighs, to the prisons which appeared to be a maze of cells and stairsteps, to the Basilica!!! Whew! I know I may have left something out...BUT...I am a small-time tourist and I am allowed!!!

Next we went on to Piazza San Marco and St. Mark’s Basilica. We waited in a long line but we did not mind. The church was magnificent ! We, again, were in awe (mouths hanging open and everything!) The architecture, the views, the history, the altar columns which supports the canopy over the altar which in turn covers (and this was the high point for me folks!) the tomb of Saint Mark...Saint Mark! An Apostle!!! Mind you this is the first time we have ever visited a Basilica let alone one where one of the apostles is entombed!!!!!!! Before departing, we took time to light a candle and say our prayers...I am Catholic and never have I felt so humbled...the first words that came to mind was, “...Lord, I am not worthy....” The enormity of the visit to this Holy place (I believe) has still not taken hold of me.

After the Basilica, it was on to the Rialto Bridge. Walking along the way was an enjoyment in itself! We ventured down narrow streets with shops that I would love to have stopped and looked at everything they had to offer...but no! We were on a mission! We arrived at the Rialto Bridge and as any good tourist would do...we each took each pictures of one another complete with a view of the waterway in the background. You know...complete with gondolas, water taxis, merchants delivering their goods, Venetian homes, etc.

By this time we were getting hungry...so it was off to find a restaurant that my husband had dined at on his previous trip. We walked thru what I equated to narrow alleyways and always we seemed to come upon a church square, an outdoor cafe, or a bridge! We saw locals sitting out, enjoying the sun, having their favorite coffee and/or snack, we saw and heard street musicians...Such a treat to my senses!! The sights, the sounds, the smells... We did eventually find the restaurant, but much to my husband's disappointment...they were closed until the dinner hour (the time we would be well on our way back to Germany.) So we set off in search of another restaurant. Located nearby (on the canal of course!), we came upon a small restaurant. All I can say is...YUMMMMM!!!!

We ordered an antipasti of cozze (mussels). The cozze were steamed and served in this wonderful wine sauce that you had to “sop” up with your bread... Erano squisiti! I could have easily ordered another plate of cozze and along with our bread and wine--but the main course was still to be had!!! Squisito! While we were sitting and enjoying our meal, I started to think about those expensive gondola rides...you know the ones you see in the movies and/or tour books....I had always said that if we were to take a gondola ride, I would want someone to sing to me a wonderful Italian song as we would meander along the canals... Yeah, I know...dreaming! Wouldn’t you know it though...as we are sitting there...savoring our delicious meal and sipping our wine...and the next best thing (to the gondola ride) happens along! Here comes this gondola! Complete with Italian tenor and accompanying musical instruments!!! The gentleman is serenading Stile Italiano!!!! (Italian style) My husband and I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!!!! We had the best of both--touring and food. We were at a wonderful restaurant located along the canal; we were eating; we were sipping wine; watching the gondola(s) float by and listening to (ok...dare I say it...”tourist-type” music!) BUT, WE LOVED IT!!!! Hell...(scuse my language)... We could have sat there all afternoon and into the evening just, sipping...eating...listening...you get the picture!!!!!!

Well as we all know, all good things must come to an end...but “Oh! The memories!” And isn’t that what our journey(s) are all about...the memories? At least for me and my husband it is... There will come a day and time when he and I will no longer be able to get out and about as much as we would like, but
“Oh! The memories!”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home