Friday, June 17, 2005

Landgastof der Lillie

During a recent trip to town of Triberg (located in Schwarzwald or Black Forest), my husband and I stopped in for a bite to eat at the Landgasthoff der Lillie. A cafe that (as their internet site indicates) may have been in business since 1608? (See website).

The interior of the establishment was clean and met our "newcomers to Germany" expectations of what a gasthof might look like. The staff was hospitable and courteous. If your Deutche is not up to speed, the staff does speak English. Service was schneller (quick) meaning we did not have to wait for menus, ordering of drinks/food, and ultimately the arrival of our orders. Presentation in our opinion was average, meaning it was attactive, colorful, but certainly not on the level of the “Gourmet” magazine’s presentation. But...who cares? The food was delicious (of course, we are very easy to please!) As one of my American friends living here in Germany stated, “...I have yet to taste “bad” (restaurant) food since I have lived here in Germany...” My husband and I are in total agreement!

My husband ordered the “Brats” dinner, which consisted of two very large brats served over hot vegetables with gravy, German potato salad, fresh vegetables and sliced eggs. His drink—the local bier. My order consisted of Swabian Spatzle (a buttery type of noodle...very flavorable), Schwein (pork) steak, served with a mushroom gravy. For my drink...my all time favorite...mineral wasser mit gasse (sparkling water). For dessert, we shared an apfle streudel mit ice cream as well as two cups of cafe to accompany the dessert. The meals and dessert were delicious. (It should be noted: while the Swabian Spatzle was tasty, I have [here in the Stuttgart-Vaihingen area] tasted other Spatzle which was not as dry AND more tasty. Again, please take nothing away from the Lillie’s Spatzle as it was tasty...but not “...as tasty...”)

So, my Lombardian friend...there it is-- my/our first food critique! Ha! (We are probably the last people to critique a restaurant or food since we tend to like all foods! ( A definite “Good” and “Bad” thing!) For me and my hubby to rate a restaurant OR a meal as “bad” really does mean that it is bad! LOL...interpret as you will!

Information:
Landgasthof der lillie
Inh. Josef Smetanjuk

Wallfahrtsstraße 3D-78098 Triberg
Tel.: +49 (0)7722 / 44 19

Fax: +49 (0)7722 / 36 54
info@lilie-triberg.de



1 Comments:

At 10:58 AM, Blogger Rowena said...

I LOVE it! You know how happy I stay right now, eh? I reading all the words in blue so I can recognize'em when I go ovah dea....

And the food pics! So ono-looking! Thanks for putting those up. I noticed you posted on Friday....affff, I probably already had sign off the pc but good thing because if I had gone through the weekend thinking about german food, I would be begging my husband to visit there already. The interesting thing is that also here spaetzle is common in the Alto-Adige/Trentino area. I was surprised one time when I was invited to lunch by a friend who lives there. His wife made spatzle which was so buttery and good, I thought she was german, but no, she italian. Then of course they explained that much of the cuisine in that region is mixed since it's next to adjoining countries.

Katalina, thanks for your words of comfort about the home post. True, a home is where your heart is and as why I'm uncommited on finding a home. My heart is in Hawaii. Always. My husband on the other hand, is one smart buggah. He said not to worry, that we can always sell and move someplace else. Just better to invest the rent we paying now into our own property instead.

Latahz...Rowena

 

Post a Comment

<< Home