Monday, September 19, 2005

Oktoberfest - München 2005


"Ein Prosit!" (More photos following post)

Everyone we have talked with since arriving in Germany told us, “...you don’t want to go to the Munich Oktoberfest! It’s too crowded...you won’t have fun! There are too many tourists there!” Well, we “bit the bullet” and went anyway! And you know what???? THEY WERE WRONG!

They were right about the “crowded” and they were right that there were a lot of tourists (but heck! Isn't that what "anyone" is when they visit a destination other than their home town or where they live??) I mean, that’s what WE are here in Germany—tourists! Sure we are going to be here longer than the “normal” touring persons. But that does not make us any less "hungry" to see and do everything this country (and Europe) has to offer!

Opening day officials said they were expecting 100,000 people—and—I am sure there were at least that many! BUT you know what??? It didn’t matter! We went expecting to have fun and we did! Yes it was crowded but no one seemed to mind. We arrived early. We saw the opening parade. We saw the German people proudly displaying their native dress. The young and old alike parading with great pride. I felt honored and proud to have been one of those “tourists” in the crowd—honored in the respect that-- I am a visitor here in Germany and I am seeing a tradition that has been carried on for over 172 years. Where would I ever see this anywhere else in the world but in the birthplace of where it all started? Yes, there are other Oktoberfests...but this is "THE" Oktoberfest! (Sound like a "kid" right!?!....so what...don't care!! ...smile!!!)

We met people from all over the world. Nice people! There was the group from New Zealand. A group from Gibralter. A gentleman from Norway. A nice family from Hamburg. A Filipino from Virginia! Young. Old. Light skin. Dark skin!!! Mothers. Sisters. Fathers. Brothers!

When we returned home from the festival, and my husband went back to work and I talked with friends and acquaintances about our experience. They “cringed” and cried out the familiar, “oh no! You didn’t!” These were the same folks who said “...it’s too crowded...you won’t have a good time...etc.” We asked them what year were they there and what exactly happened that they had such a terrible time. Their reply was, “...well, we actually have never attended...” or “...I’ve/we’ve never been...” and, “But we talked with others who advised us we wouldn't have a good time...." Those comments got us to thinking that “having a good time” is all relative and that we/you must consider the source(s) of who is telling you or advising you to go or not to go. We’ve come to the conclusion that “we” (Porter and I), make our own “good time” wherever we go. We always have and always will.

So what is our advise should you ask us about attending or not? We say to you...if you enjoy life and enjoy people, then by all means “GO!” But if you do not, then perhaps the Munich Oktoberfest is NOT for you. You be the judge. As Henry Ford once said, “..whether you say you can or you can’t, you’re absolutely right!”Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

At 8:33 PM, Blogger spoiledbrat said...

Hey Kat...I say if you want to go then by all means go. No one can tell you that you aren't going to have a good time because their good time may not be what you consider a good time and vice versa.

Its just like when someone tells you that a movie totally sucked but when you watch it you thought it was an excellent movie. People have different likes and dislikes. Thats what makes this world go around.

Could you imagine if we were all the same? OMG, that would mean there would be several of us. LOL The world would be in trouble then.

Glad to hear and see you and Port had a wonderful time. You guys look really happy together.

 
At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

RIGHT ON SISTAH! Heck, I woulda gone with you folks! Glad to hear you had a great time and met such 'fun' people. Love all the pics... (eh, I swear you guys look like my aunty and uncle).

Yup, we (more like I) am thinking to get a male westie. We'll see how things go after we move. Might have to eat bread and watah for awhile since the monthly going rise!

I know I've been lax about posting pics of me and the holidays and so the other day I was taking photos of myself to upload. If I nevah look different in all of 'em! Depending on the camera angle, sometimes I look filipino, chinese, or spanish! :-D

 
At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I spend way too much time on the pc (I know because my eyes stay sore l'dat). Trying to keep up with everyone takes forever with dial-up and I hope we'll be able to get cable connection at the new place. Anyway, since I am here, just wanted to say Guten Morgen!

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Katalina B said...

Guten Morgen! I've been absent too! Talk with you later!

 
At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder how many of those I can drink before I have to pee? Probably 1 to 1 1/2 for my arms to get numb..but to pee? maybe 2 to 2 1/2...good grief....sounds like ya had a lot of fun...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home